Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
hjs_koeln Regular Member • Posts: 124
Re: Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

xh43k wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

KE_DP wrote:

Considering Moore's Law photography data in gigapixels are only a matter of time - maybe even terapixels.

There are some considerable difficulties building a lens that can provide terapixels of information -- as opposed to noise -- in a single capture. The simplest one is diffraction.

I do have tiny zeiss lenses in my eyes after cataract surgery (im 30yo) and they seem sharp.

Resolution of an eye according to quick google search seems to be 324 megapixels.

Considering the size of the lenses in my eyes I think it could be 'viable' - of course, with much higher price.

It is almost impossible to really equate what the human eye can (and cannot) see to a particular number of megapixels. Visual physiology is totally different than photography, as a huge amount of processing of incoming light happens in the retina before the resulting impulses hit the brain.

Each eye has approx. 100 million photoreceptor cells. Of those, there are approx. 94 million rods, and 5-6 million cones. Wikipedia says 120 mil : 6 mil, but the numbers I used can be found in the scientific literature too, so I´m not sure which ones are more accurate.

Each eye bundles the fibers from those photoreceptor cells into the optic nerve, but each optic nerve has only between 600.000 and 1.5 million fibers. Therefore, in the retina there´s a convergence on a scale  of 100:1 going on before individual fibers form the optic nerve.

This convergence happens in the retina over 3 tiers of neuronal cells in a vertical arrangement (with rods/cones being the 1° neurons, bipolar cells the 2° neurons, and ganglion cells the 3° neurons), and a horizontal arrangement (amacrine and horizontal cells in between those layers connecting neuronal impulses from neighboring cells for better contrast, etc.).

Each vertical tier of 2° and 3° neurons is addressed by a receptive field (= rods and cones) of differing size, depending on whether its a 2° or a 3° neuron, and how much horizontal relaying is fed to them in between tiers. Individual impulses from photoreceptor cells are bundled as one receptive field into a single impulse, but different receptive fields can partially overlap each other.

But this is where the fun just starts. The human eye has two separate systems of vision: Rods making up the parvocellular system for light/dark vision, and cones the magnocellular system for acute and color vision. Accordingly, each system is relayed into different parts of the brain: The parvocellular system is fed into the dorsal pathway, which connects with those parts of the brain that coordinate movement. Spatial orientation plays the pivotal role here.

The magnocellular system feeds in a ventral pathway into the limbic system, which is a repository of time- and space independent, content aware emotional memory. Pattern and situation recognition happens in the limbic system.

Now translate that into megapixels.......

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CE3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow