23mm vs 16mm f1.4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
surfoxy
surfoxy Regular Member • Posts: 212
Re: 23mm vs 16mm f1.4

EMV wrote:

For me 16mm is much more difficult to shoot with than 23mm, it is to wide for a lot of everyday stuff. Sure it works well for landscape, but 23mm is fine for landscape aswell.

16mm is much more of a nisch lens than 23mm.

I don’t think you’re wrong, though I tend to disagree if that makes any sense.

I find that the 16 1.4 makes me think about composition totally differently. Not so much a landscape lens, though it certainly works well for that, but a lens which causes you to really layer your compositions, with a foreground, middle ground, and background. It tends to make me pick subjects and compositions which go from close detail to blurred background. I find my photos are far more interesting with the 16 than the 23.

I use the 35 and 16 1.4 all the time, and am thinking of selling my 23 f2. I almost never use it. Maybe I’d use the 1.4 much more, not sure.

So yeah maybe the 16 is more challenging but it’s also far more rewarding. It pushes me to more interesting perspectives.

Probably my favorite lens.

-- hide signature --

Chris

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EMV
EMV
EMV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow