My first sample images from new M50

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
mirrorlessmahmood
OP mirrorlessmahmood New Member • Posts: 22
Re: My first sample images from new M50

Marco Nero wrote:

mirrorlessmahmood wrote:

It took me a moment to think of resting my cursor over the images to see which lens you used. I assumed they'd been edited and I think very few images get posted here that are not. But your images are vibrant and sharp. You appear to have used a CPL filter in these shots, which makes the clouds punch out quite well... and cuts down of the chances of overexposing shots like the one of the dog - but I might be mistaken since you also chose very narrow apertures. Opening this thread, the shot of the dog was the first one to jump out. It's very sharp and vibrant... and even more so when enlarged. It's well exposed. Colors may be slightly over-saturated (just barely... and I am indeed capable of doing the same when editing my own images).
I'm thinking you must be quite happy with the results. I know that the 22mm is an amazing lens for the price, but the results are usually very good, even at wider apertures. The 22mm f/2 lens is undoubtedly one of the best lenses Canon have made for the EOS M platform. I was surprised to see some very narrow apertures selected in your shots. I think that when I'm taking a landscape I might settle around f/7 but when shooting the city at night, I'll sometimes push it up between f/9 and f/11... yet some of yours were at f/10, f/13and even f/22. But I can't argue with the results. Your choice of settings seems to work well.
What are your own thoughts of the images you took with your new M50? I imagine that you'd have to be pleased with the shots you took. The M50 is a lot smaller than most APS-C sized DSLR cameras and that lens is lightweight and unobtrusive. I imagine you must have been surprised when you first viewed your images. I think they're just fine although I'd agree with other members that perhaps the 2nd shot ought to be rotated slightly to level the horizon. Still, sometimes a tilted horizon can at to the character of a shot - though this one looks like it might benefit from a further edit.
I look forward to seeing more of your posts and especially shots from your camera. It's shots like these that show us what the gear is capable of and can inspire others to obtain the same for their own use. Thanks again for posting!

Thank you for taking the time to type all this up. I’m very happy with the camera and lens. Im a beginner photographer so these were my first proper shots with this camera.

if I’m totally honest I had no idea what I was doing with the apertures as I read for landscapes you need a narrow aperture which is why I chose the higher numbers like F22. I will take the feedback on board when it comes to shooting at f/7 next time. I’m still trying it learn how to shoot in full manual but I am happy with the camera. 
I also edit in Lightroom so I’m very happy with my progress so far. I’ve been thinking that I may have made the wrong choice to get the M50 and should have gone for the G90 from Panasonic. But that’s maybe due to catching the photography bug and wanting better cameras already!

mirrorlessmahmood's gear list:mirrorlessmahmood's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow