Apocolypse in my garden

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,493
Re: Apocolypse in my garden

ratfugel wrote:

I got a reply from the royal Society for the Protection of Birds.

as below. Felt you all might like to know what they say:

Bird Deaths.

Wildlife <Wildlife@rspb.org.uk>

11:28 AM (44 minutes ago)

to me

Good morning

Thank you for your email.

It is very normal at this time of year to notice a decrease in garden birds as they begin their moult before they head into winter. When they moult, they will lose the ability to fly as well, as their new flight feathers will be coming through, so they will spend a of time hiding in shrubs and vegetation to protect themselves against predators. We are not aware of any lethal materials causing sudden bird deaths in large numbers. I think the sudden decline in the birds visiting is due to them beginning their moult.

They will also reap the benefits of berries and other natural food sources which will be coming into fruit at this time of year. The food we place out for them is purely supplementary and they will also still have their natural sources on offer and they will go further afield for these.

I hope this eases any worries you have and they begin to come back again soon for you.

Best wishes

Katie Nethercoat Supporter Adviser (Wildlife)

If the above is correct I should be seeing some of them return in due course.

On the other hand..............

rat.

..Thanks for sharing this!

..I sure hope you will be seeing more birds soon..

..Cheers, John..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX70
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow