Deleting orphaned raw files

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP woodturner Regular Member • Posts: 181
Re: Deleting orphaned raw files

First, many thanks to all the contributors, especially Ludwig, gscotten, and CAcreeks for the help.

In summary, there are two types of solutions, running a small script, and those using Graphical interfaces.

The script approach seems very fast, and with the suggestion from gscotten to use Recycle.exe can mean you have some way back if you make a mistake. Various smarter people than me have offered various scripts, and other ones can be found on the web.

There is Photo orientated software and also general file browser/comparison utilities with a GUI that can be adjusted to find orphan RAW files. Examples are Photomechanic, Beyond Compare and Winmerge, others may well be available. However these are larger more complex programmes designed to be very powerful , doing many things so there is a learning curve, and they are not focused on this specific issue, and may duplicate software you are already familiar with.

Finally Ludwig shared his very simple but effective programme DeleteRaw that for me hits the nail exactly on the head. It is aimed specifically at the orphan Raw files, is simple, and you can see what is going to happen before you do it. It will also find the orphans in a single folder of mixed RAW/JPEG like the file I get from the camera.

So I have marked Ludwigs as the answer to my question, but would really like to also mark gscotten as well, as they are both simple working solutions, it is just that they are different. I personally am less used to running little command line programmes, and prefer a GUI. I also don’t feel like going for a bigger more generalist programme just now.

Your preference may well be different.

Thanks again to all contributors, this has been a great help,

Eric

woodturner's gear list:woodturner's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow