Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 4,537
Re: Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

KE_DP wrote:

Considering Moore's Law photography data in gigapixels are only a matter of time - maybe even terapixels.

In addition to Jim's comments, Moore's Law has been tending to slow down due to physical limits of how small you can make things before the fact that some parts of the chip are mere atoms thick becomes problematic.

Also once the pixel pitch becomes on the order of the wavelength of the light you're trying to record, things start getting interesting.  I recall seeing some papers indicating they're seeing some unique challenges with phone sensors down in the 1 micron pitch range - visible light is roughly 0.4 to 0.7 microns in wavelength.

The A7RIV is around 3.8 micron pixel pitch.  1 micron FF would take you to around 866 MPixels.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CE3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow