Deleting orphaned raw files

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,624
Re: Deleting orphaned raw files

onlyfreeman wrote:

woodturner wrote:

I have found a batch file someone wrote that deletes all the unwanted RAWs at one go and is very fast. Couple of seconds. But it is kinda scary as it just does it, you can't see beforehand which ones will go. lists them afterwards, once they are gone. Also there is no way back. Seems to work testing it this afternoon though.

You could have the batch file move the raw files to a temporary folder, that you can inspect before deleting the entire folder manually.

Makes the process easier, with less risk.

I used to work this way, too. I used a batch file to remove any raws without JPGs, but did not like the fact that the DEL command deletes without recycling. I downloaded recycle.exe from MaDdoG software, which is a replacement for the DEL command, but puts the removed files in the recycle bin.

This is my batch file:

for %%a in (*.cr2) do if not exist %%~na.jpg recycle -f %%a
recycle -f recycle_cr2.bat

I drag a copy of the batch file (recycle_cr2.bat) into the folder of photos and double-click it. The second line removes the copy of the  batch file. Fast and safe, and I can do it all in Windows File Explorer.

Lightroom is fast enough on my computer that now I simply cull in LR and only shoot raw.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow