Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 4,523
Re: Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

SilvanBromide wrote:

liopleurodon wrote:

...Noise results from the total amount of light collected. An f/2.8 lens on an FF sensor will collect X amount of light no matter how many megapixels are on that sensor.

Yes. In fact, all else being equal (which it rarely is) individual pixels will display higher levels of noise (because, the pixel density must be higher in a 61MP sensor, so each pixel receives less of the available light). I.e. the noise won't change but the received share of light per pixel will be reduced.

Scaled to the same resolution, the overall image noise may be roughly equivalent - or in the case of the Riv, Sony may have other things going on that improve noise characteristics. If so, I'm guessing the improvement will be marginal (not to diminish the importance of *any* improvement).

If you use standard linear noise reduction (aka solely downscaling with nothing else), you'll wind up with about roughly equivalent results.

As Jim Kasson established in a blog post a while back with some good examples, with modern nonlinear NR methods, a higher resolution sensor is better as long as you don't go to such a high resolution as to start negatively impacting fill factor.  So far, it seems unlikely that going to around 3.7-3.8 micron pixel pitch with BSI would be an issue here considering what Sony was able to achieve with the frontside illuminated A6300/A6400 sensor.  (A6500 seems to perform poorly in Bill's results which is strange, this may just be a bad dataset.)

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CE3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow