Deleting orphaned raw files

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP woodturner Regular Member • Posts: 181
Re: Deleting orphaned raw files

Nice pics!

In general when travelling I use the camera JPEGS as a source to share and quick review with Fastone on a small tablet.

When home I take the RAW into DxO after geotagging and generate JPEGS from there that get saved in one storage area which has all the photos from way back when 5mp you could only dream of.    (I rank them in DXO).  The RAWs  and DxO .dop configuration files get saved in separate storage on a different machine, so I can regenerate if necessary..  The camera Jpegs tend to get dumped anyway.

What triggered my question was this airshow, with my usual number of badly framed shots of 1/2 a aircraft, grey skies with nothing visible except a very distant plane, blurry pics of smoke etc., but as I shot a lot in high speed I generated multiple shots from a single flyby.  If I was lucky with a patch of light striking the plane possibly one or two images out of each flyby are clearly keepers, the approach and departing shots are poor by comparison.

So the % keepers is unusually low, coupled with a high number of images, got me to look for an automated solution.

Our trip that ends in Australia will be a long one, so I am trying to get process and tools sorted well in advance.   I expect to take a lot of photos, so even at my normal keeper rate there would be a fair amount of junk to delete. I usually just look through in file explorer for orphans and manually delete.  Bit boring though.

Cheers,

Eric

woodturner's gear list:woodturner's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow