Canon EOS R is MORE color accurate than A7 III

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
juanmaasecas Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Canon EOS R is MORE color accurate than A7 III

Hello, for the first time (second time actually, I have published this before in the fredmiranda forum), I have scientifically demonstrated that the Canon EOS R is more color accurate than the Sony a7 III.

Whilst pdnonline web tests states the opposite results are true, they are based on jpg out of the camera, using the srgb color space and their controlled lighting conditions.

Imaging-resource, in their different testing conditions, stated the opposite: they claim, looking at their numbers in their analysis, that the Canon EOS R is more color accurate than the A7III.

However, these two webs are based in jpg. But what we all care about at the end of the day, is the raw performance of the Sensor.

DXOmark gives the Canon EOS R a higher mark for sensor metamerism, implying the canon can reproduce colors better than the Sony, but they don't use this parameter in their scoring system.

I have proven, that for 3 different illuminants and shooting RAW, the Canon EOS R is more color accurate than the Sony a7III, and these results, opposite to what the webs mentioned earlier claim, can be reproduced and checked by any single one of you.

For the illuminants D65 and stdA, you can just download the raw files from the samples galleries provided HERE, IN DPREVIEW. They contain an x-rite colorchecker card.

For the illuminant D50, you can download the raw file from imaging-resource, and it contains both the standard x-rite 24 patches chart, and the extended SG.

By using profiling software, you can use these pictures and create different profiles for the cameras and check the accuracy.

I have used Lumariver profile designer, the most sophisticated software for camera color profiling, and it allows you to see the hue differences in the created profiles, after applying the LUT.

For D65, this is the best matching result for the Canon EOS R

Canon EOS R. Best matching LUT matrix.

And this is for the Sony A7III

Sony A7 III. Best matching LUT matrix.

As you can see, for D65, all the hues in the Canon are spot on, except for the light purple patch. The canon can be succesfully used as a color reproduction camera, or at least its performance would be much better than the Sony, under this same illuminant. The sony shows hue deviations in every single patch, and is especially worse for skintones.

Let's check now the illuminant D50. You can download the raws for D50 from imaging-resource.

Sony a7III vs Canon EOS R under D50 illuminant

Look how much better the Canon matches the hues than the sony in daylight. With the Sony, some colors could be improved a little optimizing the matrix, but producing much bigger deviations in the rest of the hues.

Finally, tungsten

Sony a7III vs EOS R color reproduction in tungsten.

Here the results are not as obvious. For Skin tones, it's easy to see that the EOS R is still more accurate. For the rest of the colors, both cameras are very similar.

I, for the first time, have scientifically demonstrated, with reproducible results from any single person, and using RAW files, that the Canon EOS R is more color accurate than the Sony A7III. After posting this in the Sony subforum in fredmiranda (mi nick there is numbertwo), of course sony fanboys can't stop giving excuses, but no one is proving the opposite, no one can demonstrate that a more accurate color profile can be made with the Sony.

I this is important enough for the photographic media to publish this results, as they publish the results from pdnonline or other pages, claiming Sony superiority. I have demonstrated, that at least for EOS R/ A7 III, my hypothesis is true, and the Canon EOS R camera is a better contender for color accuracy.

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Sony a7 III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +6 more
Nikon D50 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow