Advice needed for a compact camera

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 3,390
Re: Advice needed for a compact camera

Paulmorgan wrote:

JakeJY wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:

Then go and look beyond the tree`s, if nothing fits the bill in M4/3, check out Sony or Fuji.

I looked at those too before when I researched my own purchase, but the problem with those is the lack of pancake options. The Sony has the PZ 16-50 f/3.5-5.6, but it's a lens with mediocre IQ due to a undersized image circle, leading to extreme vignetting and very poor corner sharpness wide open at 16mm. Pancake primes at least they have two: 16mm f/2.8 and 20mm f/2.8.

We are not always looking for pancake zooms, Pany got it right with the little GM, GF series and 14mm and 20mm, there are plenty of other options away from m4/3 these days.

Pancake lenses are important for these types of cameras because that's what enables them to be put in a jacket pocket or a small purse. Without them, it ends up being another camera bag camera, in which case you can go up a bit in size and get a ton more controls (and for many people they are less likely to bring the camera if they need to bring their camera bag).

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow