Advice needed for a compact camera

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Paulmorgan Veteran Member • Posts: 8,283
Re: Advice needed for a compact camera

JakeJY wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:

Then go and look beyond the tree`s, if nothing fits the bill in M4/3, check out Sony or Fuji.

I looked at those too before when I researched my own purchase, but the problem with those is the lack of pancake options. The Sony has the PZ 16-50 f/3.5-5.6, but it's a lens with mediocre IQ due to a undersized image circle, leading to extreme vignetting and very poor corner sharpness wide open at 16mm. Pancake primes at least they have two: 16mm f/2.8 and 20mm f/2.8.

We are not always looking for pancake zooms, Pany got it right with the little GM, GF series and 14mm and 20mm, there are plenty of other options away from m4/3 these days.

Fuji doesn't even have a pancake zoom. The closest they have is the new 15-45mm f/3.5-5.6, but that lens is far from being a pancake. They also only have one pancake prime, the 27mm f/2.8.

Canon EOS M has the same issue. Although they have the tiny EOS M100, their 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 also is not pancake which defeats the purpose. They also only have the 22mm f/2 as their pancake prime option (and overall a meager lens selection).

MFT has 3 pancake zooms (12-32mm, 14-42 EZ, 14-42 PZ), 3 pancake primes (17mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.5, 20mm f/1.7), and 2 bodycap lenses (9mm f/8, 15mm f/8), along with a tons of compact lens options (won't bother listing).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow