Check My Shootout Target & Processing Ideas

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,667
Check My Shootout Target & Processing Ideas

Hoping for clear sky the end of the week will allow completing a shootout of 3 Fuji cameras I unsuccessfully tried last month. I want to test my thinking on what to use for a target region of the sky. Please let me know if you have a better idea.

Testing mostly by Mark has shown the Fuji X-trans camera employ some kind of Raw filtering but not the XT100. Filtering seems stronger on the XT3 than the XT2. Can't tell what the filtering might be doing to images.

I'm limited to the use of available shorter FL Fuji lenses for testing, the longest is 90mm f2. Will use a tracker at a dark site. Am thinking I'll shot 9x 1 min. exposures @ ISO 800, f2.2 for all these. I'll covert the raws to tiff16 in RawTherapee using the default camera profile for all 3 cameras before stacking. Will apply the same limited pre & post processing to the stacks. Then inspect stacks for differences.

I'm thinking I should use a target that is high in the sky to reduce atmospheric effects & include a nebula so any effects of filtering on color may show.

Thinking I'll shot both the XF23 & XF90 aimed at the Cygnus region. That will give different star sizes in case the filtering effects specific sizes. Have the XF56 but Fuji support thinks my copy of the XT100 is defective as it will not correctly focus that lens. Other lenses focus fine.

Thoughts?

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +5 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow