2nd of July 2019 eclipse from La Serena, Chile ; C&C welcome

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
frenchy01 Regular Member • Posts: 361
2nd of July 2019 eclipse from La Serena, Chile ; C&C welcome

End of June some friends and me went to Chile with the hope to see and image the 2nd of July eclipse. We were fortunate enough to have good weather in La Serena, so we took the pictures from our balcony (happily escaping the traffic jams...).

Following picture is a composite of different phases (warning: you need a 16/9 120/10 format monitor for optimum viewing of the panorama...:-)):

2nd of July 2019 eclipse composite

The sun turning orange/red comes from the fact that the eclipse finished 10 minutes before sunset (I used a Baader filter and kept the white balance constant at 5250K on the set of images).

However I can't see any stars during totality on my pictures (bracketted between 1/2000 and 2s), nor do I see structure on the moon surface on the longuest exposures. Probably due to seeing conditions not being optimum at such low altitudes above the horizon (about 13° for the totality). Or maybe that fellow photographers who went to the mountains were better served than at sea level?

Frenchie

frenchy01's gear list:frenchy01's gear list
Nikon D850
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow