Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
liopleurodon Senior Member • Posts: 1,175
Re: Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

canonpfs wrote:

Much is said about the Sony A7R IV's "too high" mega pixel count. It seems the only reason that people can think of for needing a high mega pixel count is cropping. Besides cropping, here are two additional reasons for wanting more mega pixels:

Cropping is reason enough IMO.  I have no use for it, but if I were a bird photographer (or shooting anything else small and far away) I'd be all over a high megapixel body.

1. Sharper images. Have you ever looked at an image on your rear LCD and thought that they were sharp only to find them blurry on your home monitor? Yes, I know we should look at our images on the LCD at higher magnifications but please bear with me for a moment. The reason why the blurry images looked sharp on the LCD is because a large image is displayed very small. So you shoot in low light and there is a breeze. You are already at a high ISO to get a higher shutter speed but the flowers in the foreground are still slightly out of focus. With lots of mega pixels available this image can be down sampled. At a smaller size the flowers are now sharp. Taking an image from 61MP down to say 18MP sharpens slightly out of focus areas.

But now diffraction sets in at wider apertures than lower resolution sensors.  Trade-offs.

2. Lower noise. Provided the 61MP sensor provides the same high ISO performance as the 42MP sensor the larger sensor will result in lower noise when down sampled. Noise just seems to magically disappear with down sampling. So if you have noise in the 61MP image just down sample it and the perceptible noise will be less.

Noise results from the total amount of light collected.  An f/2.8 lens on an FF sensor will collect X amount of light no matter how many megapixels are on that sensor.

liopleurodon's gear list:liopleurodon's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Google Pixel 3 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CE3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow