Free Used Epson Stylus 9900 and 9800

Started Jul 22, 2019 | Questions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,281
Re: Free Used Epson Stylus 9900 and 9800

jMy neighbor at work (Big Dig Graph Co) just tossed a few Wide format platters. Epson Stylus 9900 and 9800. These guys always throw out valuable stuff they just dont wont... So my question is should I see if they work and are worth repairing? I know vague question... Im capable of fixing anything but should i invest the 5-10 hours it might take to even find out? Im an artist and can make money with a photo quality plotter... Ill call them Monday and see if they have any info... Any info would help.

If the printers come with at least some of each color of ink, then you can get one or both and try it / them--but then if you don't want to keep it / them, you have a huge printer (or two) to deal with.

The 9900 is the considerably newer printer (208-2015), but generally, the Epson 4900, 7900, and 9900* are known as maybe the worst printers ever for clogging problems. How bad probably depends on their microclimate (temperature, humidity, and dustiness) and how often you use them.

The 9800 is the considerably older printer (2005-2007), but has a better reputation for clogging than the 9900--which is not to say the 9800 should be trouble-free, especially if you don't print every few days.

Last but not least, these are big physically, and will cost a lot to feed. Ink and paper for the big prints these printers are designed to make won't be cheap. Have you looked at what it costs to run one of these printers, even if you get the device for free?

*The 7890 and 9890 are very similar, but with fewer ink channels, lacking the green and orange inks. It would not surprise me if they are similarly troublesome.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow