Suggestion for D850 custom controls

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TAM63 Senior Member • Posts: 2,633
Suggestion for D850 custom controls

I have been looking through the manuals, wondering if there is something I'm missing re. an easy way to do what I am trying to accomplish.

I shoot a lot of wildlife, generally with a heavy lens. So my left hand is generally on the lens.

I most often shoot manual with auto-ISO, highlights weighted metering, using +/- as needed. Obviously I change that sometimes as needed, but that is what I use most frequently.

So far, I have the following controls set up:

Camera custom controls:
AF-ON = AF-ON, group
PV = AF-ON, single point
FN1 = AE lock, reset on release

MB-D18 custom controls:
FN + dials = +/-
AF-ON = AF-ON, single point

The above allows me to shoot action (I like group) using my thumb, or use single point as desired for still subjects. Usually if I'm in portrait mode (using the grip) its not action, so I'm trying that at single point for the time being.

I need to play with this, but I am wondering if my AE lock, reset on release should not include reset on release - I presume I'd just have to hit the button again to turn this off?

What I'd like to be able to do easily, in either landscape or portrait orientation, is to have spot metering and AE lock. Of course I can change the metering mode, but that needs my left hand and isn't quick.

I wish I could set one button, or 2 that I can reach easily to lock the exposure on the point that I select (in landscape or portrait). And then I might recompose, then focus and shoot.

Any ideas?

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow