jeffharris wrote:

rurikw wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

rurikw wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

I can only rejoice at this news reporting Olympus patents for f1.4 lenses:

https://www.43rumors.com/new-olympus-patent-discloses-the-10mm-12mm-14mm-and-16mm-f-1-4-primes-design/

My wish list to make them unique in a crowded MFT lens market:

- much smaller/lighter than f1.2 series

Hopefully a little smaller and lighter. Much smaller and lighter is asking too much.

Why? The f/1.2 series is enormous.

1.4 is less than 1/2 stop less so how could they be much smaller?

Oly 25mm f1.2. Panasonic 25mm f1.4

I have no idea what makes the Oly so big and the Pana so small but speed it can't be.

I remember film-era Nikon 50mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.2. The f1.2 was significantly bigger and heavier.

But fatter, not longer. The f/1.2 (still a current lens, by the way) was still compact by modern standards.

f/1.2

f/1.4

I really don’t get the Olympus over-sized lens thing. But, if you look at current FF lenses, they tend to be giant. I guess designing for high-res sensors (and avoiding software corrections) it must be necessary.

It's a fashion, started by Zeiss with the Otus. They decided on a no compromises design mainly for status reasons, I think. Since then other lens manufacturers have followed the no compromise route. You can look at the successive iterations of the Sigma 50mm f/1.4

Mark 1, already an unusually large f/1.4, at the time promoted as a no-compromise design.

Mark II (Art). After Otus had redefined 'no compromise'.

Photographers are obsessed by 'sharp glass'. It's not that it's necessary for high pixel counts. High pixel counts produce better results with all lenses.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow