Advice needed for a compact camera

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,325
Re: Advice needed for a compact camera

R00kiePh0t0 wrote:

Dear photographers,

I am in the market for a compact camera. After some hefty research I narrowed it down that I want a compact (pocket) camera with interchangable lenses and a viewfinder. I am going on travels soon (F1 in Hungary and Asia general and Bali/Lombok later in the year) and I just want a small camera that I can grow into.

I went further and bought a truly compact camera for when I wanted smaller than M4/3.

No M4/3 really makes the pocket size, they all manage to be bigger, especially when a couple of lenses to cover a reasonable range are involved.

In my search I always kept hearing about GM1 and GM5. I love the design and the size of it. However, it seems it is not made anymore and finding it is near impossible. A funny side note is that anyone that has one or wants one sounds like a cultist chanting GM1 and GM5 over and over.

It's the same syndrome as small car owners, they like to drive them faster than bigger cars to prove something.

My question to you and if you are willing, would anyone be able to advise me which camera even comes close to what I want. There are so many camera's in 2019 that I cannot see the forest beyond the trees.

In my case it was the Sony RX100 M6 with its 20MP 1" sensor, and "24-200mm" performance with its f/2.8 to f/4.5 lens. Easy to carry in a small belt pouch....

Super convenient to carry, performance not that far behind M4/3, and in some ways better. Very expensive.

Next, a small kit for when I want light M4/3......

Or for more serious travel a small shoulder bag.....

About 2.5kg or so, easy to carry all day. A pair of f/2.8 lenses plus some other small lenses packed in there.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow