New, and thinking about a z7

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bridgehouse Junior Member • Posts: 46
New, and thinking about a z7

Hello all - new poster.

I'm thinking about a z7. Thought I'd say hello and give you a brief history.

I've been an on and off enthusiast for a long time. I shot a lot of film, mostly mf sir's back in the 80's and 90's. It started as a student and carried on into my work years. I had a whole heap of different cameras, but mostly Nikon and Olympus. Last film slr was an FM3a.

When digital came along, being in IT, I was pretty quick off the mark, and I moved over fully with a D70. Used it to death over about 4 years and then work just took over and the photography fell by the way side.

I've dabbled with other cameras since then - I had a 5D Mkii for a little while, but found it too big and too cumbersome so it just didn't get used much. Tried a Fuji X100 - and found I didn't like rangefinders that much. Finally, tried an OM-D E-M5 which was a great little camera, but probably too small. Again, didn't get used that much as time was a limiting factor.

Anyway, back to the present. Mrs B has insisted I take time out from work and pursue hobbies to de-stress. She's right, of course, and photography is naturally home territory for me. I've spent a couple of months researching and getting back up to speed with things. I suspect I've been waiting for the current crop of mirrorless full frame cameras for at least the last 10 years. The z7 seems to be best fit for me:

- Nikon ergonomics and usability - I just loved my Nikon film slrs, and the D70 was brilliant.

- Old lenses for adapting - I used a lot of great old glass in the day and I'd love to get some of it and use it again. The z 16mm flange seems like and ideal fit. Full frame of course will mean those old lenses retain their focal length rather than being cropped. This is the main reason for not going DSLR, along with size considerations after the 5D Mkii being too big.

- I mostly shoot landscapes, static subjects, macro and buildings - not to say I wouldn't shoot a lot of other stuff, but they were the main things back in the film days and with the D70.

- Nikon glass - always loved the look and feel of Nikon glass and the new S lenses don't seem to disappoint in that department either.

I think I'm at the point where it's time to take the plunge and get stuck in. Does it sound like I'm on the right lines?

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D70 Nikon Z7 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow