RAW and JPG and all that again

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
xh43k
xh43k Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: RAW and JPG and all that again

engbert wrote:

For about 15 years I have accepted the dogma, well supported by theory, that it is usually best to shoot RAW. but contemplating the switch from the a7r3 to r4, with its 61mp images and probable huge files, I pondered changing this.

Downloading some of the A7R4 sample jpegs on DP review, I was surprised at how much could be recovered in the shadows, as well as the amazing quality of the images generally.

With my A7r3 I took about a few pictures in a very poorly lit room, saving them as both compressed RAW and extra fine JPG. The compressed RAW were about 40 to 50 mb, and the JPGs were from 5 to 11 mb, depending on content.

They were all imported to Lightroom Classic. Lightroom converted the .ARW files to DNG, not deleting the originals, and was surprised to find that they were mostly a bit bigger as DNGs and in some cases nearly double the size. Perhaps the conversion undid the compression. So I will not save space by converting to DNG! I will spend some more time on this.

The biggest surprise was comparing the ARW images to the JPGs. I think the jpegs were better. As intended, they were underexposed, and I had to raise the exposure and shadows. But I could not get the RAW images to look better than the sooc jpegs. The iso was 10,000. Raising the shadows produced more noise in the RAWs. I suppose the in camera jpeg converters have improved over the years.

I hope to hear from anyone who has made observations like these. Just opinions will not help much.

First of all, I don't believe you were able to get the same highlights/shadows recovery from jpg

Secondly, I call BS of 5-11MB 42MP jpg files.

Also "For about 15 years I have accepted the dogma, well supported by theory, that it is usually best to shoot RAW"

It's not dogma and it is supported by simple and technical facts and data.. if you want to work with files, you should shoot raw.

Edit: I did some small stupid test as well, I took one of my RAW files, exported it as jpg, imported it back to c1 and used 100 highlights/shadows sliders, then did the same for raw file, exported both with same settings out of c1.. here are the results and the difference will be even more on actual landscape or other pictures.

original picture

jpg with 100 recovery of highlights and shadows

raw with 100 recovery of highlights and shadows

xh43k's gear list:xh43k's gear list
Sony a7 III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow