600 IS III and 5D Mark IV image stabilization issues

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kingofkngs Regular Member • Posts: 103
600 IS III and 5D Mark IV image stabilization issues

I've had an ongoing issue with my 5D Mark IV and 600 IS III.  I've had a thread at Fred Miranda for over a month now and wanted to reach out here and see if anyone else has had similar issues.

Briefly, at shutter speeds of 1/250 or 1/200 or slower with image stabilization on while shooting through the viewfinder, I am getting what appears to be blur on essentially every single image.  The blur is always in the same plane as the movement of the shutter--in the landscape format the blur is vertical.  It appears as if there is a "ghost" image that is shifted up perhaps several pixels.

The combo works perfectly with live view on with all other settings the same.  I can get sharp images to approximately 1/30 of a second.

The lens works perfectly on my 1DX2 and 5DSR and the 5DIV worked perfectly on myself 600II I had previously and currently works perfectly on my 400 DO II bare and with both TCs.

The camera went to Canon by itself and was sent back stating everything was okay and they'd need the lens.  They paid for shipping for both of them out (Kudos to Canon) after that.  I shot a few photos in my kitchen after I got the combo back and things seemed to be okay.  I was instructed to not disconnect the lens unless IS was switched to OFF.  I followed this very strictly.  The next day (yesterday) I went out and shot the camera again and the problem has recurred.  I contacted Canon and am going to be sending the combo back after I get back from an upcoming birding vacation (will just make sure not to use this exact combo).

I've had at least two other people reach out to me that they're having the exact same issue and one person states he has not had this exact issue but he does have similar issues if and only if he's shooting with IS on with the camera locked down on a tripod.

This happens with and without teleconverter.  I do have a grip on my camera and have not tried it without one BUT I never shoot without a grip and it should just work with one.

Are there any other shooters out there using 5D Mark IV and 600 IS III?  If so, what has your experience been with these shutter speeds.  I have extensively shot other bodies and superteles without any issue like this.

Does anyone have a possible explanation?  Some were suggesting possible resonance between the body and the lens.

I've provided a couple examples below but I have extensive amounts of test photos demonstrating this.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

This shot is as 1/500 and is completely acceptable to me.

This is at 1/125 and is unacceptable.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow