My Ricoh GR3 Review

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Old Ricoh User Regular Member • Posts: 329
My Ricoh GR3 Review

I was given the opportunity to use the new Ricoh GR3 for a week. I've been using Ricoh digital cameras since 2005 and while a loved using the GRD, GX, and even the GXR series I was not a big fan of the GR series of cameras. As a primarily b&w photographer the larger cmos sensor just couldn't produce an image that would be cohesive with the rest of portfolio. I owned the GR for about 10 months until a circuit board problem rendered it useless and a few years later I was given a GR2 but not long after traded it for a few GRD cameras. So with this opportunity to try the GR3 I wasn't going to base it on the output of my older photography and base it on the evolution and handling. I'll get the image quality out of the way by saying it produces good images just like every other 24 megapixel camera today but in the process the GR series Ricoh lost an image look that was all it's own. I like that the camera was now smaller but not if it meant the loss of the flash. Some of like using fill flash to increase contrast in black and white at night. To me the was a very stupid move on Ricoh's part. The build quality is ok but the buttons feel mushy and if they can last like that with no problems in the future I'm ok with it. After walking around for a few hours with the camera there were two things that bothered me. The first is clunky feel of the image stabilization system when walking with the camera using a wrist strap. It felt like something was loose in the camera and it became annoying. I feel that this type of camera doesn't need stabilization. The other issue is how warm the camera got on an 77 degree day and wondered how bad it would get during the dog days of Summer when it would be in the 90s. My last real complaint is with the horrible battery life. Yes you can always carry more batteries and when I'm out with a GRD I do always carry 3, but after spending $900 on a camera before taxes I don't think I should have to buy another battery to even come close to the cycle of a db65 battery. In conclusion I think Ricoh has lost its way with the GR series and are no longer doing their own thing for the sake of more mainstream users. Personally I think this will be Ricoh's last GR camera.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow