My first experience with G9 was more than great!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,920
My first experience with G9 was more than great!

I am 71 years old and have owned more cameras I would like to admit to. D800, 5D m4, XT-2, OMD5, RX10 iii, a7r3 and the list goes on and on. Many of my vacations sometimes seem more like work because of all the gear I take. I just got back from a seven night eight day tour of the Canadian Rockies, spending time in Victoria BC, Jasper NP, and Banff NP. Now I have to go over the 770 files and decide which to keep and process. After glancing at a few of the files and from the experience I had with the G9 and Olympus 12-100 I can now say I think I have found my perfect travel camera/lens combo. I also took my Sony a7riii with the 16-35 GM and did not use this once on my trip!

What made my experience fun was being able to leave my bag on the tour bus and just take the camera. For travel photography the larger depth of field at F5.6 is a real advantage in my view. There were some shots where I over estimated the depth of field equivalency so the foreground was not in focus. I tried not to shoot more closed down than 5.6 as I read where the lens is not its best more closed down. What was nice was being able to shoot at faster shutter speeds while taking shots from the bus. Due to the great image stabilization I never felt I needed anything faster than 4.0. Even indoors I felt I could handhold and get sharp photos. I was surprised how few times I felt I needed something wider than 12mm. I did find I needed 12mm often though and being limited to 14mm would have been problematic for me. Most of my shots were 60mm or less but it was nice to have the reach of 100mm.

I also found the perfect tripod/monopod solution. I found a monopod that folds to around 16" (easy to pack) as it seemed most monopods minimum length were longer than many travel tripods. I bought a mini tripod where I could use the arca compatible ballhead and use the legs on the monopod. This gave it stability where I did not have to have my hands on the monopod while shooting and the footprint was small which is great for crowded places. The monopod has a place near the head where I could clip on a strap so it was very easy and fairly light to take with me everywhere. I did not feel a need to use it on my trip but it was no trouble taking it with me. I like having it in case there were opportunities to shoot panos or use the high rez option. The weather kind of took away opportunities I would have had (rained all the time in Banff).

My goal is to mainly take photos for my blog website below (I will post my first blog after processing the photos). I also want to make canvas prints up to 40". On rare occasion I want to do a canvas print up to 48". For those rare times I am counting on using high rez mode or stitching photos together, which is why the monopod with legs is important to me. I am trying to see if I really need my Sony a7r3. After the trip I just took I am feeling a lot more confident micro four thirds may be all I need. If I feel I don't have to have full frame I would probably get a smaller micro four thirds body such as the GX9 to keep my 8-18 lens on it as there times when this would be useful. If I needed to take a bag I could use a smaller one then what I have now. Or I could get a very small bag that I could attach to my belt for the G9/12-100 and a lens pouch for the 8-18 to keep on my belt. Not having to take a bag with a bunch of gear is a huge wonderful change for me.

Gary

-- hide signature --
 gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Sony RX10 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow