New Olympus MFT 1.4 prime lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,551
Re: New Olympus MFT 1.4 prime lenses?

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

I can only rejoice at this news reporting Olympus patents for f1.4 lenses:

https://www.43rumors.com/new-olympus-patent-discloses-the-10mm-12mm-14mm-and-16mm-f-1-4-primes-design/

My wish list to make them unique in a crowded MFT lens market:

- much smaller/lighter than f1.2 series

Yes. I like my small f/1.8 or f/1.7 primes (Panasonic Leica 15mm, Panasonic 20mm, Olympus 25mm, and Olympus 45mm) that they are easy to toss into the camera bag. While the Olympus f/1.2 and the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 lenses are much larger, and would be apt to be left home due to weight and size issues.

And then we get to the issue of cost. I have a hard time rationalizing buying a $1k (USA) lens, given it is fixed to one focal length.  At that range, I have to pick and choose carefully.  I am a zoom guy and I prefer to frame my shot in the camera and not during editing. And in wet conditions, I prefer not to change lenses.

- aperture ring like the Panasonic 15mm/1.7

Like others have said, I doubt this.

- Olympus manual focus clutch mechanism and focus scale

Yes.

Currently, as far as I know, nobody else offers this in MFT yet, and it would make manual operation a full option on MFT (I know there are Voigtländer lenses, but they’re big and heavy...)!

Though frankly if the lenses are > $600 and not small, the Panasonic Leica 10-25mm f/1.7 would probably win out.

And if the lenses are not splash proof, it will further push me towards the 10-25mm.  Right now the only splash proof options prime under $1K that I'm aware of is the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 and Sigma 56mm f/1.4 (but not its sister, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4).  I recently bought the Sigma 16mm, and it compares in size to the 12-40mm or the earlier Olympus 14-54mm classic 4/3rds lens + MMF-3.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow