What's so special about Magnum photos?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SonyOB Regular Member • Posts: 479
What's so special about Magnum photos?

As my age necessitates, I am a bit retro in more ways than one.
I have a diploma, I am a health professional but also keenly interested in photography since 1976, when my daughter was born.

I got the Time-Life series of photography out from the library many times as I tried to figure out TX, D-76, MIcrodol, and Agfa Portriga, spending hours and hours in the bathroom lighted by a single greenish bulb.

Despite the time spent, I never became the next W. Eugene Smith, who still is my greatest TRI-X hero.

I learned to like the special touch of Magnum photos. There is this little "je ne sais pas quoi" that immediately tells you that the picture has been approved and published by Magnum.
I still am a fan. I get their updates on Facebook. Almost without exception, at first glance, you 'know' that the picture is a classic.

I wonder what it is. Can any one of you give me the reason?
If not, no problem. It can be my nostalgia or selection bias or whatever.
Just wondering, is it just me?

-- hide signature --

"If your pictures are not good enough, you need to buy some more stuff from Amazon"
(Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon)

SonyOB's gear list:SonyOB's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Rokinon 100mm F2.8 Macro +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow