Lots of refurb Olympus Air's being sold

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,558
Re: Lots of refurb Olympus Air's being sold

LoneTree1 wrote:

I ordered one. I bought one when it came out, then sold it, then missed it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Air-A01-Mirrorless-Micro-4-3-Body-BlK-V208010BU000/352609350101?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Good luck with it. The AIR A01 stands out as one of two cameras that I've bought and returned as not meeting my needs (the other one was the Z camera E-1). If you are curious here is the post I summarized on the AIR's shortcomings:

For a remote control camera, I've found the Panasonic LX10 to be a much better platform to use. I have video taped a 1.5 hour show using the LX10, the Panasonic app and a dummy battery to keep the camera powered.

Unfortunately, if you want to zoom the AIR A01 from the Olympus app, you only have a choice of 4 lenses that support electronic zoom which are slow consumer lenses (and are rather ancient at this point):

• Olympus 14-42mm EZ lens (must have EZ suffix)
  • Olympus 12-50mm EZ lens
  • Panasonic 14-42mm PZ lens (must have PZ suffix)
  • Panasonic 45-175mm PZ lens

If you are a programmer, I saw this github that claims to have a Python interface to the AIR.  Note, it hasn't been updated in 3 years, and the links to the documentation of the protocol at the Olympus site are now dead (I did snatch a copy while they were still live):

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow