Best Photo Editing Laptop 2019

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
svOwl
svOwl Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: Best Photo Editing Laptop 2019

In April 2019 I purchased a Dell XPS 15  (the 2018 model) certified refurb from their outlet store for about $1450. It came in a plain brown box with no manuals and has been flawless. No bloatware. 16GB, 512 SSD, UHD screen, Windows 10 Pro.

I process 42MB RAW files in Lightroom classic and, if you're not making 1:1 previews, it downloads from the built-in SD card reader very quickly. The process that takes time are de-motion blurring and making GIFs from large raws in PS, but it is still faster than most alternatives.

The 4k is a real advantage compared to the former 1080p screen. Colors are great (in a practical sense), but that utility really depends on what your final output will be. If you are outputting to the web, this will be more than good. If you are doing fine prints, in my circles this means tuning to the printer output using test prints.

If I had to do it again, I would probably go for 32GB RAM and larger SSD...Just a matter of money.

The 2019 models are just coming out. Early indications are that these will be better...Especially with the new OLED 4k screens. But they probably will be budget busters. So, if you can score a 2018 model it would be almost as good. I spent a few weeks haunting Dell's website...There prices, discounts and deals are shifting all the time.

svOwl's gear list:svOwl's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Nikon D700
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow