Photographers vs. Audiophiles

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Don_Campbell Senior Member • Posts: 2,871
Audio Woo

I'm a retired scientist. My area of research was dependent on analog and digital electronics and for years it required me to create a variety of analog and digital instruments. I understand amplifiers. I understand A/D and D/A converters and I understand Nyquist and Shannon sampling theory.

I also understand "cable theory," which was fundamental to my area of research. I understand how digital and analog cables work in audio systems and I know reality from magic in their design and construction.

I don't know all the wild claims about various individual components of audio systems because there are too many to keep track of. Quite by accident I recently ran across a good discussion of "audio woo," which the author defines as "various vague and unsupported claims for devices or methods for getting better sound quality from systems that reproduce recorded music."

I commend it as covering the ground pretty thoroughly for those interested in a rational discussion of reality vs magic:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Audio_woo

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
AOC
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow