"no risk taken"

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Montanawildlives Contributing Member • Posts: 624
"no risk taken"

Recently on dpreview somebody was critiquing another person's landscape photos and amongst generally positive feedback they wrote, "no risk taken."

I took this to mean that the picture in question was kind of mainstream, nothing surprising or unusual. I'm aware of the concept in art and other genres that taking risks is a component of meaningful work.

I've been thinking about this in terms of my own work and I have to say I I would give myself the same feedback, I don't really take many risks. I'm looking for some good foreground interest, looking for balance, making sure the photo is technically adequate, and so on. But I'm not thinking about risk or looking to take risk. If you're curious you could click on "my photos" below to see where I am, may be clicking on the nature and Landscape Link in particular.

So how do you take risks in your landscape photography? You could take that as a person asking for advice (how do you take risks?) or you could take it personally (how do you take risks?)

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow