Canon lens IS working when adapted to MFT?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,287
Re: Canon lens IS working when adapted to MFT?

Architeuthis wrote:

I thank you both for sharing experience and this valuable info.

I conclude that the additional lens IS is probably of no benefit, since it will likely not cooperate with the camera body. I should probably go for the unstabilized version...

Wolfgang

That is a good point Wolfgang. The only real issue is that the lens IS is actually designed for the lens itself. As far as I know a zoom lens in particular has the opportunity to vary its IS strength by the focal length in use.

Furthermore oem electronic zooms obviously do the same thing. But IBIS systems need to be set to a stabilisation level where there in no communication with the lens and with a zoom lens it is necessary to set a compromise stabilisation in IBIS when it is first mounted.

I used long Canon EF lenses with lens IS for years with no issues - in fact these lens stabilisation systems are still being used on dslr bodies today. I doubt if all these pro-shooters ever missed having IBIS.

But I am sure that the IBIS will cope and of course you are likely to get lens IS only with the stabilised lens.

I must note that when Olympus made their fine 300/4.0 lens for M4/3 they had to instal lens IS as well as apparently the amplitude of IBIS movement on their camera bodies was not considered enough to fully cope with such a long lens.

The other issue which may or not concern you is that the EF 100/2.8L is an internally focusing lens rated “L” by Canon and awarded their coveted “red ring”.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow