Are there safe cities for street photography in South America?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MatMayer
MatMayer Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Are there safe cities for street photography in South America?

Booked our one way tickets, now researching places, but safety keeps coming up. In busy touristy areas it's probably fine but people are warning against wearing a camera on regular streets. Basically saying it is just a matter of time before I get robbed in Medellin Colombia, possibly with violence. So I started looking at other places like Lima in Peru (also dangerous) and Ecuador (not sure yet as the research is getting exhausting, hence me asking).

I bought a camera the other day one tenth of the cost of my main one that I would be happy to lose to a thief, but the threat of violence is starting to make me wonder if I should have booked our non refundable and expensive tickets at all. Maybe we should have gone later in life when street photography isn't my hobby.

We have been looking at Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia and the general consensus seems to be watch out for pick pockets, don't use an expensive phone in public, don't wear expensive clothes or jewellery and don't go out alone at night. These are all things normal people would be OK living with. But not being able to wear an old camera is a deal breaker.

Are there certain cities in South America where you felt comfortable in the day wearing a camera? Or maybe we should look at other countries? Safety isn't an issue at all in Thailand, UK and Paris (in the parts I have visited, so I didn't think to check first. I have found a couple of places which sound OK in the day (Cuenca and Cusco) , but there must be more, maybe we just need to avoid big cities?

A shot the other day in a Thai mall.

ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow