Nikon D7000 — How to prevent Color Balance from going nuts

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
Nikon D7000 — How to prevent Color Balance from going nuts

I shoot with a Nikon D7000, I always shoot RAW, I always shoot in White Balance "Automatic" mode, as 99% of the photos can be adjusted quickly in Lightroom or Photoshop if the color balance is off. But here's one situation where I continually get messed up color balance, and I'd like to know if there is any way to prevent this in camera.

The situation is this: I am photographing a light grey or light yellow building, in bright sunlight (the sun is behind me and somewhat low to the horizon at 9:30am). This particular building is light grey. As you can see in this example, the sky becomes an ugly and unnatural shade of blue. The photo shown below is unedited, other than converted to JPG, but the colors are essentially the same as the unedited RAW. (if you want to download the RAW file and look at it, the RAW file is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5tup6pdjeiht2r/DSC_6430.NEF?dl=0)

So, what can I do in camera to prevent this or reduce this effect?

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

Buffalo, NY

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow