Copenhagen captures

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 1,148
Copenhagen captures

Just thought I'd share a few of my favourite shots from a week in Copenhagen:

Nyhavn by Lightning:

Forecast? Overcast! LOL (EXIF incorrect, Canon EF 24-105 f4/L IS II + Sigma MC11)

I checked the weather forecast two hours before I set out, and it was supposed to be cloudy, with no rain. Within ten minutes of arriving it started to rain. After half an hour it was absolutely pouring down, and there was sheet lightning all over the place. I was photographing from the other end of Nyhavn when I noticed that the flashes were all behind me, so I walked briskly down to the other end, and starting taking shots facing the storm. I'm sure I made an amusing sight standing in the middle of this with an mangled upturned umbrella held over my camera, with the rain pouring down me. This was a single shot.

Tivoli Gardens, Hotel Nimb:

Moons opposing (EXIF incorrect, Canon EF 24-105 f4/L IS II + Sigma MC11)

For anyone who enjoys artificial lights as much as I do (my wife thinks I'm part moth), the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen are not to be missed. This is the Nimb Hotel lit up for the evening. The Moorish-style building itself dates back to 1909, but the current hotel was opened in 2008.

Axelborg:

Going Loopy

Something else I can't resist are spiral staircases. However the observant amongst you may notice that this isn't a spiral staircase, this is actually a tiered atrium. It turns out I can't resist those either! The Axelborg was built in 1920 as a bank.

Tivoli Gardens, the Chinese Tower:

Dragonfire (EXIF incorrect, Canon EF 24-105 f4/L IS II + Sigma MC11)

As I mentioned before, I cannot resist lights, which meant that the Tivoli Gardens at night were something I couldn't stay away from. I love this shot, but it represents a bit of a frustration for me, as "the one that got away". This was taken just before the gardens closed for the night (I actually had to sneak out with some musicians as my exit had already closed) however as happened two nights earlier, I noticed there were a lot of flashes coming from the distant skies, and they were getting closer with every minute. Yes, there was another massive electrical storm that night; and it would have been directly behind this scene. Unfortunately I didn't capture it unfolding behind Tivoli as they turned the lights off before the storm was anywhere close! Arrgggh! Can you imagine what that shot would have looked like?

I hope you enjoy the pics and the brief travelogue

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow