Photo Permits for London

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,698
Re: Photo Permits for London

David Lowe wrote:

Hi, I am planning on visiting London in September to take some long exposure photographs and therefore need to use a tripod. Does anyone know where to apply for tripod passes for these areas:

Ghurkin, South Bank, City Hall.

Many thanks.


Generally speaking, if you are in a public place you do not need a permit. Obviously, at busy times there is always the danger of causing an obstruction but common sense should give you an idea of where you can set up in safety.
However, if the police decide you are causing an obstruction, they can ask you to move on without giving a reason.

The area around the South Bank and City Hall IS Private Property and they employ private security guards to enforce regulations. I've heard of photogs being hassled for using tripods, but again if you are sensible and don't cause an obstruction, then you should be OK. For commercial photography it is possible to buy a permit for the area, but for amateur use it is not necessary.

For general guidance about street photography in the UK the following article from "Amateur Photographer" magazine may be of help:

 MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow