300pf wide open versus 300 ais 4.5 not

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Montanawildlives Contributing Member • Posts: 556
300pf wide open versus 300 ais 4.5 not

I've been using my 300pf lens on my mirrorless camera with a dumb adapter.  It only shoots wide open, and I find that the 300pf benefits GREATLY from stopping down a bit--the biggest gain is at 4.5, a bit better at 5, and fully completely can't-get-any-better at 5.6.  I also find the 300pf is not optimal for manual focusing (my only option).  As you might expect, it is a bit clunky and it seems like the smallest adjustment I can make sometimes goes from focusing in front of my subject to behind it.

I'm thinking of picking up the 300mm ais ed-if f4.5 to solve these issues. I assume, like most ais lenses, the manual focusing will be dreamy.

I also assume that at their optimal apertures (say, 5.6), the 300pf would be sharper.  BUT, since I can only use the 300pf wide open, I'm wondering if the older lens would be competitive (say, equivalent) stopped down to 5.6?  So, if I were only interested in sharpness, say center sharpness (this is going to be for wildlife), would the ais lens at 5.6 be as good as the 300pf at f4?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow