Stuck Aperture: Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR FX G ED AF-S

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Katonda Forum Member • Posts: 52
Stuck Aperture: Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR FX G ED AF-S

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I dropped my camera bag while taking out my laptop at airport security. My Nikon 24-120mm f/4 was mounted to my D700 inside the bag. Since it was padded and only fell from one meter, I didn't think anything was wrong. Visually, everything looked fine. The autofocus and manual focus rings seem to be working just fine too. Zoom seemed fine too.

However, once I reached my destination I realized the lens was not responding to changes in aperture. I unmounted the lens and noticed some resistance when doing this. I remounted it and took shots. I later noticed that all of my photos from that trip are partially out of focus, so I think there's an alignment issue with the optics. The spring that closes the aperture, doesn't do it on its own. Moreover, while I can move it with my finger, I don't think the body is strong enough to do it.

When I got home, I tested the D700 with my 50mm F1.4 prime and it seems to work fine.

My reason for posting is thus: the repair store in my city has a $70 inspection fee, which they waive if you agree to their estimates for repair, but pay otherwise. My intuition tells me that this could be an either extremely simple 'squeezing/misalignment' issue or a structural problem with the lens mount. Perhaps someone on the forum here may be able to shed some light on the issue. Do you think it's an easy fix?

Here's a quick gif of the lens (click to see animation):

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow