EOS RP Battery Grip

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Kaso Veteran Member • Posts: 4,463
Re: EOS RP Battery Grip

RoyGun wrote:

I’m planning on my next camera purchase. Long time Canon user and while other manufacturers seemed to have upped the game technology wise, I’m going to stick with Canon.

I have large hands and needed to add a battery grip to my Rebels to comfortably hold them especially with larger lenses. Shooting at 90 degrees was also easier with the added shutter release and dial of the Canon BG.

It doesn’t appear that Canon is going to release a BG for the RP. The RP checks the right boxes for my simple needs but I may have to give up the advanced AF features on the RP and go with a 6D Mk ii to gain the ability to add a BG.

Have there been any market updates from Canon concerning a BG for the RP?

What do you shoot the most? If you shoot portraits most often, the new Face/Eye Tracking Servo AF technology will help you tremendously. Moving around the AF points and feeling constrained by the AF point spread become non-issues.

If you want to buy a Canon full-frame mirrorless camera today and you need a battery grip, you should get an EOS R. Overall, though, I would recommend R over RP.

Having said that, I must add that you should carefully consider the current availability and prices of the RF lenses.

On the other hand, 6D Mark II is a solid and enjoyable DSLR. Although lacking the advanced AF features enabled by mirrorless technology, the 6D II is more mature compared to both R and RP today. (I use 6D II and R, the latter with an EF-RF Ring adapter.)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow