Help with upgrade for bird photography

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JH296 New Member • Posts: 8
Help with upgrade for bird photography

Hi all,

I have a d3200 with a 55-200mm lens, I love bird/nature photography but I feel that I'm limited by my current set up in terms of reach and autofocus capabilities as I need to be extremely near to get any nice shots and I also often miss shots from the autofocus being too slow to keep up. The sorts of birds I like to photograph are larger like birds of prey and herons such as below.

I'm on a very tight budget, so ideally would only like to spend around £500.

Therefore I'm looking at the sigma 100-400C lens, which I can get used for around £500, I think this would give me the FF equivalent of 600mm and I love that it is compact enough to easily hike with.

Alternatively, would it be better to first upgrade my body to something like the d7100 for <£300 used, which has much better autofocus. I could then also get the 150-500mm for around £250, therefore this and the d7100 would be a similar cost to the sigma 100-400 lens. I have heard the 150-500 can be slow to focus, but perhaps the d7100 could help this?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3200 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow