Reasons for using the Pany 35-100mm F2.8

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
wiryawan
wiryawan Regular Member • Posts: 232
Re: Reasons for using the Pany 35-100mm F2.8

bokemon wrote:

Hello folks,

You can take a look at my gear list to see what other lenses I already have. One of the things I like to do is just walk around and take pictures of random objects. (No people pictures, though). I have only been at this a few months, but I realized a few things:

1) I don't like using primes

2) My walk-arounds extend into the evening when the sky turns a dark blue

3) When the lighting becomes poor, if I don't have at least F2.8, then I give up and go home.

4) I don't have much experience using focal lengths of 40-100mm in poor lighting

My lens of choice so far is the Olympus 12-40 F2.8. With it, I can take decent pictures of buildings at night, or focus-stacked images of flowers in the shade. I tend to use it on the wide end because the image stabilization seems to work better there, allowing for long exposure. But this Pany lens will have Dual IS2, which will allow for longer exposures on the long end too.

So my question is what type of pictures do you take in this focal range under poor lighting conditions, and using the big aperture? For any instances when the lighting is good, I would just use the 14-140 instead.

The other thing is that I am not a big fan of switching lenses, especially for "the walk-around", so I wonder if the 35-100mm will be too limiting.

Hi Bokemon

My personal experience when it comes to 35-100 2.8 is that it's the best for event photography/video. Under low light circumstances, I usually took portraits and tried to get the "bokeh" thing to happen with the 35-100 2.8.

However, given that you don't take pictures of people as part of your walk around photography activity, I think you could find a subject then isolate it using the 35-100 2.8. Maybe try to find a background that has a lot of "bokeh balls" and try to find an angle to isolate the subject while exaggerating the bokeh balls.

I personally don't use 35-100 as a walk around lens. When I don't want to switch lens, 12-35 2.8 will always be my choice. Hope this helps

-- hide signature --

Best wishes,
Gary
ig: bejophotography
blog: http://bejo-photography,blogspot.com and http://www.youtube.com/user/bajigurwedangronde

wiryawan's gear list:wiryawan's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow