Oly 14-42 EZ Problem

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
LarsPolarBear
LarsPolarBear Regular Member • Posts: 486
Oly 14-42 EZ known Problem

bobpetti wrote:

Out of the blue this past week, my 14-42EZ stopped working. When I turn the camera on, the barrel extends, retracts, and extends again - and the screen is black and the camera behaves like no lens is attached (MF on, no image, etc. etc). Anyone ever see this? I turn it off, turn it back on, and it now retracts, extends, and retracts. Wherever the lens is when the camera is switched on, it does three things and then stops and the camera doesn't recognize the lens.

Weird. Never had a moment's problem with it - and I took a photo a minute prior to this happening that came our fine.

Camera works perfect with other lenses.

Any ideas?

Yes, this is a well known problem - even if Olympus denies it - the 14-42 ez is just a very sensitive (you call also call it low quality) lens.  I had mine repaired 3 times and just bought a new one after it failed for the 4th time... 

Unfortunately, it is VERY sensitive to humidity (and I really mean humidity, doesn't need to be rain) and vibration.

There are people out there that claim that they can repair and upgrade the mechanism (might want to look on the internet), I have not tried it...

I do like the lens for its size and I need it for my underwater housing, but if I would have a choice (again it's the only lens that makes sense for a certain port of my underwater housing), I would exchange it for the Pana 12-32 pancake, it has a manual zoom (less things to brake) and apparently this also better optically (but not has good in close-up).

I really wish, that Olymous would upgrade that lens mechanically and optically, instead of wasting their time on more over priced and heavy Pro lenses... ..afterall, wasn't the original claim that mft is smaller than the other systems... 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow