Need repairs on out-of-warranty Canon gear. Do most ppl use/recommend Canon Repair? Alternatives?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CreeDo Senior Member • Posts: 1,626
Need repairs on out-of-warranty Canon gear. Do most ppl use/recommend Canon Repair? Alternatives?

I called Canon Repair to ask about two problems -
One is super frustrating, the cheap rubber main dial on my camera started slipping, and my DIY fix is no longer working.
The other, I fully expect to have my wallet punished, and I deserve it. I dropped a $2000 70-200 lens.
They explained their flat pricing, which is based on difficulty of repair basicallly... e.g.  "easy repair $200, medium repair $400, difficult repair $600".
I'm not thrilled to spend $200 to fix a 5 cent part that was guaranteed to wear out.
The lens repair sounds like it'll be like $800. I can almost buy a used replacement for that money.
Are these prices fairly normal? Do you have someone you can recommend? Is it a gamble sending it to someone other than the dealer?
I was hoping KEH would quote me something cheaper, but they they don't even have tiers, just one fixed price... it certainly won't save me money for the camera, but might on the lens.

CreeDo's gear list:CreeDo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow