Sensor Dust, Sensor Dust, it's fix-mess time in postprocess...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ProfHankD
ProfHankD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,625
Sensor Dust, Sensor Dust, it's fix-mess time in postprocess...

I really like carrying and using multiple lenses out in the field. So much so that I carry two bodies to have two alternatives always ready... but darned if I don't carry more than two lenses....

At f/5.6, no problems. Unfortunately, I shoot landscapes (and fisheye and ultrawide lenses) at f/11 or so. I clean my sensors to be spot-free at f/22 before going out for the day, but in dusty settings (e.g., archaeological sites) it only takes one lens swap to have stuff showing at f/11. It's not showing too destructively, but the sky gets little splotches that are clearly visible when pixel peeping, and that means I try to clean them... and five minutes of circle & synthesize later, it's all perfect... except I just spent five minutes.

I know, you're thinking why not just capture a dust image and then subtract it? Well, because this dust is loose enough to move from frame to frame. Not all of it, mind you, but enough. The sensor clean cycle on my Sonys can get rid of some of it, and I could always blow out or use a lenspen to remove the rest, but that's not really a good idea while you're still in a dusty place.

Anybody got any great solutions for this problem? If not, I'm thinking it might be time for a little research project to automatically identify and repair dust marks....

PS: I know MFT's thick cover glass dramatically reduces this problem, but the other problems a thick cover glass introduces make it a bad option. I also know there were thin plastic sheets to seal the mount opening, but I think that product has been discontinued?

PPS: My known-nasty-environment fix is a 28-200mm on one FF body and 12-24mm on the other, with no field lens swaps. Workable, but not what I want to do....

PPPS: Yes, the title of this post is meant to be sung to "Silver Bells."

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow