Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 GM for a7r III and family pictures?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OliverNZ
OliverNZ Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 GM for a7r III and family pictures?

Campione22 wrote:

Hi,

I am hoping to hear opinions on which of these lenses would suit my needs better. I switched to a Sony a7r III back in February from Canon and absolutely love it! I am a landscape hobbyist, but really switched to the a7r III to have higher resolution for photographing my newborn daughter. I have the 24-70 2.8 GM and it's a great lens. It's the only lens I have.

Recently, I was able to borrow both the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 and the Sony 85mm 1.4 GM. Both are ridiculously amazing lenses, and my wife is allowing me to buy one. I am unsure of which one I like better. I am leaning towards the 50mm 1.4, but is it worth the money for the extra stops when I already have that focal length covered? Also, I love taking pictures of my daughter with other family members holding her, so is the 85mm 1.4 a bit too tight? I feel like I may have to back up a bit more, and indoors, I may not have that luxury.

I appreciate all the opinions in advance. Like I said, I am a recreational shooter, definitely not a pro. I just love the hobby and want great pictures of my daughter.

Campione22

Hi, if I was allowed to have one lens for the Sony system, it would be that 50 f1.4.

-- hide signature --

No, I don't have an iPad. Not getting one either.

OliverNZ's gear list:OliverNZ's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a7 III Zeiss Loxia 50 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow