Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 GM for a7r III and family pictures?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Mike Fouc Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 GM for a7r III and family pictures?

It literally weighs as much as a bag fullof Sony primes

To OP: my proposal to get the Samyang 85 plus the FE 55 (perhaps used) was thinking you had a full 85GM budget. Those lenses together cost less than the Sony GM, although you can find it for less used. Starting with a Sony 85/1.8 makes sense, but don't ignore the magic of F1.4 if you want a special look.

NatureBX wrote:

The f2 zoom lens would be too big and expensive. It would be lighter and less expensive if you add a prime.

Campione22 wrote:

Thank you all for the tips and advice! It would be nice to have both of these, but financially, that's not going to happen. I may lean towards the 85 because a lot of the shooting I plan on doing is outdoors where I won't be limited by space. I'd like to try the 85 1.8 to see if there's any major differences (I don't have a trained eye, nor do I pixel peep and wouldn't necessarily know what to look for anyways). I just see that it's $1200 cheaper as one of you mentioned above.

Before I switched to Sony from Canon, I saw that Canon came out with a 28-70 f/2 for their mirrorless body. Is there anything like that in the works for Sony? If there is, I could wait and eventually get it while selling the 24-70 GM.

Mike Fouc's gear list:Mike Fouc's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow