Reasons not to post photos or enter contests

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 54,462
Reasons not to post photos or enter contests

Reasons not to post photos on DPReview's gallery system:

1. I don't care what other people think of my photos.  They are taken for me and my family and those are the only people's opinions I value.
  2. Most of my photos are of me and my family or of our activities and are therefore not suitable to be placed in public.  Yes, I know, lots of people put the details of their lives on Facebook or Instagram, but I consider doing that just this side of bat-guano insane.  Maybe even the other side.
  3. I have another place I post photos, and have had that place before DPReview even had a gallery system.  I provide links to those photos for those people for whom the photos were taken, such as wedding or event clients.
  4. DPReview's gallery system is cumbersome and painful to use, and is sometimes unreliable.  I've tried it three times and it failed to work properly two of those occasions.

Reasons not to enter contests:

1. The contest winners are rarely, if ever, images I would have chosen.  Therefore, my taste in images seems to be drastically different from either the average person or from those who vote.  The challenge-of-challenges winners have often been images I would have deleted in-camera.
  2. I don't need validation from other people about my photos.
  3. The voting system doesn't seem to be credible.
  4. What purpose does it serve to enter a contest?  I can't figure out any reason to enter a contest aside from ego stroking or trying to mold your image style to match the desires of others, both of which, it seems to me, are counter productive.
-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow