BIF with my new Z7, so far just an exercise in frustration...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tailslol Junior Member • Posts: 45
BIF with my new Z7, so far just an exercise in frustration...

I have been playing with my Z7 for 2 days and today I tried to shoot some small BIFS out of my window.

It was just impossible if they are panning really fast. The problem is not AF-C tracking. I think tracking works almost as good as D850. As long as I'm not "shooting" I can keep the AF area on the bird and the focusing accuracy is similar to D850 and this is with a non-native lens. The camera can keep the bird in focus, most of the time.

But when I hit the shutter, regardless of whether I'm in Continuous High or Extended modes, the lag between frames is so much that I'm losing the bird immediately. I think I'm seeing what's happening with a latency between 50 and 120ms. And at those latencies a fast moving bird will be out of your AF area before you take the next frame for sure. So when I finally look at the pictures, some are still in focus even though the AF area has moved and no longer covers the bird. It's just by luck that I get those in focus shots, not by technique. With my D850, even though the camera can't track the bird with 100% accuracy, I still have the damn focus points on the bird 95% of the time.

But I don't think this is an issue of Z7. I haven't tried A9 but no mirrorless with this kind of latency can be ideal for a fast BIF. If I'm not seeing what's happening, what's the point of taking pictures anyway? I'll just get to video mode and at least see what I'm shooting.

So I can shoot a single shot of a BIF with ease because I can track the bird with the camera, no problem. If the camera loses focus, that's on the camera but at least I did my job correctly. But once I can't even see what the bird is doing, no technique can help you get a 90% keeper rate from a burst sequence unless the bird magically stayed in your square all the way.

So forget the framerate, just give me a real time view of the bird when bursting. Even 4 fps with a real time update of events would make things simpler compared to 9 fps with 100ms update.

I'll keep trying more tomorrow but so far I'm glad I haven't sold my D850.

Tailslol's gear list:Tailslol's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +2 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow