Reasons for using the Pany 35-100mm F2.8

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,524
Re: Reasons for using the Pany 35-100mm F2.8

bokemon wrote:

Hello folks,

You can take a look at my gear list to see what other lenses I already have. One of the things I like to do is just walk around and take pictures of random objects. (No people pictures, though). I have only been at this a few months, but I realized a few things:

1) I don't like using primes

2) My walk-arounds extend into the evening when the sky turns a dark blue

3) When the lighting becomes poor, if I don't have at least F2.8, then I give up and go home.

4) I don't have much experience using focal lengths of 40-100mm in poor lighting

My lens of choice so far is the Olympus 12-40 F2.8. With it, I can take decent pictures of buildings at night, or focus-stacked images of flowers in the shade. I tend to use it on the wide end because the image stabilization seems to work better there, allowing for long exposure. But this Pany lens will have Dual IS2, which will allow for longer exposures on the long end too.

So my question is what type of pictures do you take in this focal range under poor lighting conditions, and using the big aperture? For any instances when the lighting is good, I would just use the 14-140 instead.

The other thing is that I am not a big fan of switching lenses, especially for "the walk-around", so I wonder if the 35-100mm will be too limiting.

For someone who doesn't like using primes, you sure own some nice ones! 

Maybe what you meant is that you don't like using primes or changing lenses on walks. I too have the 12-40mm f/2.8, and it's my most used lens. For telephoto I own the older 45-200mm f/4-5.6 and I also have my Nikon with an 80-200mm f/2.8.

My Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 is actually up for sale right now, and soon my Nikon 300mm f/4 will be as well. I'm planning to replace both with the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 + MC-20... but I also really like the idea of the small and compact Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8.

Since you don't like changing lenses (at least not on walks), the 12-100mm f/4 might be your ideal lens. It's only 1 stop slower than what you want, and it has a stellar reputation for a zoom with such range. You already have the 14-140, but it's at f/5.6 by the long end.

Like you I enjoy taking shots of random things when I walk around (or bike around). I like using a telephoto for architectural details on buildings, or to compress telephoto landscapes and cityscapes. I love the idea of the relatively compact and light 35-100mm f/2.8 for this type of shooting, and I don't mind changing lenses on walks (I usually carry a few lenses with me, and sometimes even two camera bodies).  That said I know from carrying the 45-200mm that 100mm isn't always enough reach for me, and the 45-200mm isn't always a fast/bright enough lens for me. This is what is leading me towards the 40-150mm f/2.8 pro and MC-20, but the compromise there is that it's more to carry. I also take a lot of photos of my kids (including action shots) and some wildlife, so as a replacement for my much larger/heavier Nikon telephotos the 40-150mm f/2.8 is actually quite attractive to me. I can always carry the 45-200mm f/4-5.6 on days when I want something smaller and have enough light.

If you don't want to carry a larger/faster zoom you could always use a monopod or tripod as well, but again... that's more to carry.

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow