Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Davi7d777
Davi7d777 Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Some photographers won't be asking that question when they begin looking at their work on large immersive 8k with HDR displays.

My background was from 4x5 large format color film in order to make large sharp prints. In this era one often sees similar sized large prints from single shot captures of high end DSLRs, however viewed critically up close they are relatively soft at frame edges. Medium format digital backs with more resolution are comparable and that is what more megapixels offer. More importantly, when 8k displays with HDR become common, I have been predicting they can take the place of prints when exhibiting large images because as a transmission medium, they are considerably more impressive than any reflective prints. A single USB memory stick plugged into such a display will allow large bodies of work to be shown. Up to this point that has been logistically impossible because large framed work is weighty, bulky, fragile, difficult to package for shipping, difficult to ship in anything less than a moving van, liable to heat damage during shipment, storage, takes up considerable space on gallery walls, and all this is expensive.

Accordingly when photographers start noticing what those like this person begin doing exhibiting, they will look at their own work on such displays and notice their single shot images display relatively soft. That is why when I went digital from film in early 2014, I immediately began multi row column stitch blending from focus stacked blended shots using prime lenses with best frame edge to edge sharpness at optimal tested apertures that with my lenses is f5.6.

-- hide signature --

David

Davi7d777's gear list:Davi7d777's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CE3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow