Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 GM for a7r III and family pictures?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Mike Fouc Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 GM for a7r III and family pictures?

PeterL6312 wrote:

Mike Fouc wrote:

Or consider the Samyang 85/1.4 plus FE55/1.8. The 55 is my go to lens for shooting my 1.5 and 3.5 year olds. 85 is tight for multiple people and can’t work if kids are on the move indoors, where the faster lens is most important. Some would find the 55 even too tight. It’s compact size and super fast AF are great for running around chasing or carrying kids, too. That said, 85/1.4 is a special look. For full body portraits of kids out and about it gives great separation and can give a dreamy look. I really like the Samyang, and it’s also lighter and smaller than the GM, not to mention way cheaper.

How do you rate AF / eyeAF on the Samyang when shooting kids ?

I've found it quite good. I'm not a big pixel peeper and use and A7iii, so don't have the resolution to do deep pixel dives. I also don't do a lot of headshots of kids, both because they'll never sit still and because I usually prefer to get them in context, so absolutely perfect focus on the pupil isn't something I can really evaluate in most of my shots. Wide open at F1.4, though, what I can say is that most of my shots of my little kids even running are in focus at 100% crop.

Here's the type of shot I do, showing pictures (all wide open) of my daughter in the garden a couple weekends ago (with colors edited to my taste at the time of import), the last one a 100% crop of the second:

The DPR resolution on these looks low to me, so I'm adding a 100% crop to you can see a bit more detail.

100% crop of above

Mike Fouc's gear list:Mike Fouc's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow